GEORGE TOWN, Feb 13 — More Penang officials could be called in for the investigation into the state's RM6.3 billion project for an undersea tunnel and three paired roads, according to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
MACC Deputy Chief Commissioner (Operations) Datuk Seri Azam Baki said this after confirming that his agency summoned two state executive councillors to give their statements.
“The others depends on the statements we recorded,” he said when asked if other state excos, including Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng, will be summoned.
State exco for Public Works and Utilities Lim Hock Seng turned up at the MACC headquarters at Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah to have his statement recorded this morning.
Penang Deputy Chief Minister II P. Ramasamy was also asked to go in for questioning on the project.
Ramasamy said he will visit the MACC at 9am tomorrow accompanied by his lawyer, Datuk Ajit Singh.
This is a continuation of MACC's probe into the controversial undersea tunnel project.
MACC had detained four senior executives for questioning in its investigations into the case and conducted raids at various offices including state government agencies since last month.
The controversial 7.2km undersea tunnel, which was awarded to Consortium Zenith, was proposed to connect Gurney Drive on the island to Bagan Ajam in Butterworth as part of the state’s Penang Transport Master Plan to ease traffic congestion in the state.
The three paired roads will be implemented in three packages which is to connect Tanjung Bungah to Teluk Bahang, Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway to Air Itam and Gurney Drive to Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway.
The construction of the undersea tunnel is expected to start in 2023 while works on the three paired roads are supposed to be carried out in stages between this year up to 2025.