PETALING JAYA, Feb 13 — The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has suspended a Malaysian national shuttler over allegations of match-fixing.
In a report by the New Straits Times, the unnamed athlete’s lavish lifestyle had drawn the attention of the BWF, which then initiated investigations against him.
It is understood that the organisation started monitoring the player, said to be in his 20’s, last February but only took action last month.
He had represented Malaysia in several high profile tournaments including the World Championships and the All England.
A source familiar with the matter said the BWF had called the suspect in for investigations late last year.
“It had apparently found enough proof after looking through the player’s mobile phone, to charge the shuttler.”
The source added that the BWF would hold a hearing with the player in Singapore later this month, with local shuttlers and sports officials expressing interest in the case.
Badminton Association of Malaysia honorary secretary Datuk Ng Chin Chai said the allegations were serious.
“This is the first time a Malaysian shuttler has been investigated for directly being linked to match-fixing,” he said declining to comment further on the scandal.
Players found guilty of such offences can be banned for life by the BWF.