SINGAPORE, Feb 5 — The Republic welcomes Malaysia’s move to reduce the Goods Vehicle Levy (GVL) at the Second Link while keeping the levy unchanged at the Causeway, said Minister for Transport Khaw Boon Wan yesterday, adding that both sides regard the easing of congestion along the Causeway as a “continuing priority”.
In a Facebook post, Khaw said his Malaysian counterpart, Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai had given him a heads-up on Putrajaya’s decision to reduce the GVL at the Second Link, from RM200 to RM50, while keeping the levy of RM200 unchanged at the Causeway.
“They have moved speedily and decisively on this idea. I read from the media reports of their decision to do so immediately. We welcome this decision of Malaysia,” he said.
Khaw noted that the GVL is a Malaysian Customs charge and not a toll. He added that the GVL is applied to all goods vehicles, regardless of nationality. But there is no such equivalent at Singapore’s end as the Republic does not impose any GVL, he said.
“We will monitor the impact of this move. Meanwhile, our officials continue to engage on how to amend current tolls, with a view to ease the Causeway jam.”
Khaw added that the causeway congestion issue was raised every time he met with Liow, and their meeting in Beijing last week was no exception. Both ministers were in China for the inaugural Asia Pacific Ministerial Conference on Civil Aviation.
“We discussed several ideas on how to incentivise more commuters and goods vehicles to use Second Link instead of Causeway, and to do so during off-peak instead of peak-hours. We had a productive session,” he said. — TODAY