KUALA TERENGGANU, Jan 24 — Three senior citizens, a man and two women, were almost trapped during a fire at a four-storey shophouse along Jalan Dalam Kota, here, yesterday afternoon.
In the 4.30pm incident, the victims, Ng Kok Hwa, 70, his wife, Cho Chin Ha, 64, and his sister, Penny Ng, 54, were said to be on the second floor of the building adjacent to a electrical items store, which had caught fire.
Ng, when met by reporters, said he did not realise the fire had occurred until his wife, who was cooking at the time, said she saw smoke emanating from the building next door.
He said this was the first time such an incident had occurred, and he was thankful that all his family members were safe.
Meanwhile, the owner of the electrical shop, Tay Chin Hong, 47, said electricity at the shop on the first floor had gone off, before the fire broke out on the second floor of the building.
A spokesman from the Kuala Terengganu Fire and Rescue Department said they had difficulty extinguishing the fire as the store was filled with flammable items, adding that water pressure in the area was also low. — Bernama