KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 13 — Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng challenged the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission today to punish the “source” sharing details of its investigation into his state's RM6.3 billion undersea tunnel project.
Referring to various reports citing a “source” who yesterday confirmed that the agency's investigations were on the RM305 million allegedly paid for the project's feasibility studies, Lim noted the MACC previously pursued those who leaked details on its other probes.
“To avoid any perceptions of double-standards, can the MACC take action against these ‘sources' leaking confidential information of MACC investigations to the BN-media on the tunnel and 3 main highway project that was conducted by open competitive tender?” he said in a statement.
The “source” also told the press that investigators raided nine more companies yesterday as part of the investigation.
The DAP secretary-general claimed the commission's investigation would be seen as politically motivated if it did not act against the party or parties sharing the sensitive details.
Two company directors were remanded earlier this week following raids conducted by the MACC for the probe.
The controversial 7.2km undersea tunnel awarded to Consortium Zenith Construction Sdn Bhd was proposed to connect Gurney Drive on the island to Bagan Ajam in Butterworth as part of the state’s Penang Transport Master Plan to ease traffic congestion in the state.
The feasibility studies for the tunnel was delayed for almost two years and last October, Consortium Zenith claimed there was no hurry to complete the studies as the project is only expected to start in 2023.