KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 28 — Police are trying to identify the owners of several email accounts used in the data breach involving 46.2 million cellular service subscription accounts.
According to The Star Online news portal, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Mohamad Fuzi Harun said investigators are liaising with the email service providers to determine the individual users of the accounts.
“That is all I can disclose at the moment,” he was quoted saying, adding that the investigation was jointly conducted with the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).
The Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) has solicited reports against the company suspected of being the source of the breach, but its chief commissioner Tan Sri Dzulkifli Ahmad said none has been received so far.
“We welcome parties with information to come forward. We will determine if there is any basis to open investigation papers,” he reportedly said.
Nuemera Sdn Bhd, the company appointed to manage the MCMC's public cellular blocking service (PCBS) and the company alleged to be the source of the data breach, has declined comment.
“It is best that you contact the authorities for further information on the investigation,” a company spokesman was quoted saying in a separate report by The Star Online.
Yesterday, news portal Malaysiakini linked the PCBS to the massive telco data breach. The PCBS was introduced to reduce street crime and mobile phone thefts by allowing stolen devices to be disabled remotely using the unique 15-digit International Mobile Station Equipment Identity (IMEI) code.
Last month, Lowyat.net reported that approximately 46.2 million mobile phone numbers of Malaysian telcos and mobile virtual network operators (MVNO) have been compromised and leaked online.
The technology news site said the leak included postpaid and prepaid numbers, customer addresses as well as sim card details from all major operators including DiGi, Celcom, Maxis, Tunetalk, Redtone and Altel.