KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 14 — Tan Sri Mohd Amin Nordin Abdul Aziz said he will let the courts decide the future of The Address, a new high-density residential development in Taman Desa being protested by existing residents.
This comes after 11 residents there filed a lawsuit against the Kuala Lumpur mayor to stop the new condominium project.
They filed for a judicial review of the planning permission for the project with the Kuala Lumpur High Court in March, on the grounds that proper procedures were not followed, among others.
The Star Online quoted the mayor as saying that the Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) would have to first wait for the court’s decision before taking any further action.
“The main entry and exit road will be able to support the development and only cause minimal traffic impact to the surrounding area.
“Based on the traffic impact assessment report, the developer is required to upgrade the road infrastructure,” he reportedly said.
“Among the upgrading works required include the Jalan Desa Bakti-Jalan Desa Utama junction, building a pedestrian walkway around the site and surrendering part of the land to the neighbouring school and condominium for road reserve.
“The developer is also required to ensure that nearby residents are informed on the project through a meeting with the residents and advertisements in Malay and English newspapers,” Mohd Amin added.
KY Khong, one of the 11 who sued, previously said the residents had no choice but to file the legal challenge after the mayor granted a planning permission for the project known as The Address.
He had said that the land for the Proposed Development has been gazetted as Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB) reserve land and not residential land, and that it was marked as for utilities, and not for development.
The 11 residents are from the three neighbouring condominiums directly affected by The Address project, namely 10-storey Tiara Faber which has 320 units, 13-storey Desa Eight (24 units), and 13-storey 1 Desa (104 units).
Separately, opponents of the new development project in Taman Desa claimed that their banners on the protest have been mysteriously removed.
“Residents were greeted on Monday, November 13, 2017 with a shock when three banners put up by residents to protest the proposed high density developments in the Taman Desa area (went missing),” said the Save Taman Desa group.
The group said that two of the banners had been put up near the entrance to Taman Desa from the Salak East — West Link and a stone’s throw away to Jalan Desa Bakti 2.
“News of the missing banners has spread quickly to the residents who are now even more furious. The case of these missing banners may just further galvanize the protest and gather further support.”