PUTRAJAYA, Oct 13 ― The security control companies which employed seven security guards detained recently on suspicion of being members of the Abu Sayyaf militant group may lose their licence if they are found to have been negligent in their recruitment process.
Home Ministry secretary-general Datuk Seri Alwi Ibrahim said the companies concerned had been identified and under investigation by the ministry and Royal Malaysian Police.
He said based on initial investigations, the seven suspects had used fake identification documents to gain employment as security guards at the companies.
"The ministry will not compromise with any companies found to employ security guards with links to terrorists as a result of their negligence in following regulations,” he said.
He said it was the first case involving security guards believed to be Abu Sayyaf members.
Alwi said the ministry had set a stringent process in the recruitment of workers by security control companies, including requiring them to first verify candidates’ MyKad via biometric authentication at the National Registration Department.
He said the companies were also obliged to screen the potential employees in accordance with the ministry’s circular, ‘Private Agencies No. 4 Year 2010’, under the Private Agencies Act 1971.
“The Home Ministry warns all security control companies to abide by the regulations and guidelines in their recruitment of security guards,” he stressed.
On Sept 14, seven Filipino security guards believed to be Abu Sayyaf members were nabbed in a special operation mounted by Bukit Aman’s Counter Terrorism Division.
The men were detained following a raid on Aug 30 on the terrorist group’s cell which had planned to launch an attack during the closing of the 29th SEA Games and National Day parade. ― Bernama