Jamal remanded for alleged May 13 remarks

Police have remanded Datuk Seri Jamal Md Yunos for three days.  — Picture by Yusof Mat Isa
Police have remanded Datuk Seri Jamal Md Yunos for three days. — Picture by Yusof Mat Isa

KUALA LUMPUR, Oct 19 — Police have arrested and detained Umno division leader Datuk Seri Jamal Md Yunos for allegedly threatening a repeat of the May 13 race riot, his lawyer said today.

He was also arrested under Section 500 and 503 of the Penal Code for criminal defamation and intimidation, as well as Section 233 of the Communications and Multimedia Act (CMA).

Jamal, who is the Sungai Besar Umno chief and a leader of the so-called Red Shirts movement, will be remanded for two days to facilitate investigation.

“He was arrested in relation to the alleged May 13 posting and the parang terbang remark,” Jamal’s lawyer Imran Tamrin told Malay Mail Online when contacted.

“Parang terbang”, which in English literally means “flying machete”, was allegedly among the weapons used against the Chinese during the May 13 riots in 1969.

More than 100 people died in the incident, according to reports at the time.

The two Penal Code offences carry a maximum jail sentence of two years or fine or both.

The third, under the CMA, deals with improper use of network facilities or service to annoy or harass another and carries a jail term of not more than a year and a fine not exceeding RM50,000.

Jamal had allegedly posted on his Facebook earlier this month a threat which read: “Saya berjanji Tragedi 13 MAY akan berulang dan PARANG TERBANG akan terjadi jika BERSIH 5 dibuat pada masa, tarikh dan tempat yang sama dengan perhimpunan #BERSIH5 yang dijadualkan pada 19 November ini. Hidup Melayu!”

[Translation: I vow that the May 13 tragedy will be repeated and parang will fly if Bersih 5 is held at the same time, date and place as the #BERSIH5 rally scheduled on November 19. Long live the Malays!]

He later denied making such a posting and claimed his Facebook account had been “hacked”.

The posting disappeared soon after it was made viral.

His lawyer said the police have confiscated his smartphone upon his arrival at KLIA at 8.30am today. He was away in Dubai for a business trip.

Asked to comment on the matter the lawyer said his client will give his full co-operation.

“In fact during the entire process he has been very co-operative,” he said.

Related Articles

Up Next