KOTA BARU, April 7 — Twenty-nine pupils of Sekolah Kebangsaan Tiong here suffered food poisoning after having a meal at the school canteen yesterday.
They were sent to the Wakaf Che Yeh health clinic for treatment and sent home, said Kelantan State Education Department deputy director Jaafar Ismail.
The Standard Five and Six pupils were said to have eaten spicy chicken during recess.
“The pupils who ate the dish complained of nausea and stomach-ache before vomiting.
“The department has no qualms about terminating the contract of the canteen operator if the report from the Health Department proves there was negligence on his part,” he said on his visit to the school today.
Jaafar said that following the incident, the school canteen has been closed for two weeks to allow for an investigation. — Bernama