ALOR STAR, Jan 7 — Sixteen pupils of Sekolah Kebangsaan Tualak pre-school in Kuala Nerang were hit by food poisoning yesterday after consuming fried rice at the school.
Kedah Health director Datuk Norhizan Ismail said initial investigations by the Padang Terap Health Office revealed the pre-school kitchen was not closed.
“The kitchen is generally clean and the bad food is believed to be attributed to the stale meat used in the meal,” he said in a statement today.
In the incident yesterday, eight boys and eight girls, aged between five and six, suffered vomiting and diarrhea after eating food prepared by the pre-school operator.
The Padang Terap Health Office received information on the incident from Kuala Nerang Hospital at about 11pm yesterday.
Norhizan said as at 5pm today, 10 of the 16 children were still being treated at the hospital. — Bernama