Gobind says has requested reports on data breaches, GE14 results block

Gobind also said his ministry would contact the Bar Council and civil liberties group Lawyer for Liberty to discuss the issues. — Picture by Miera Zulyana
Gobind also said his ministry would contact the Bar Council and civil liberties group Lawyer for Liberty to discuss the issues. — Picture by Miera Zulyana

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


KUALA LUMPUR, May 27 — Communications and Multimedia Minister Gobind Singh Deo said today he has requested reports on several incidents originating from his ministry.

In a Facebook post today, Gobind said these included the massive personal data breaches, bot attacks on handphones prior to the elections, and the blocking of several “live” websites during the election night.

“In addition to that, there will be a review of certain provisions in the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998 and proposals to amend them will be considered,” he said.

Gobind also said his ministry would contact the Bar Council and civil liberties group Lawyer for Liberty to discuss the issues.

There have been at least two cases of data breaches involving millions of Malaysians — one reported in October last year, and another in January this year.

As at March this year, the investigation into the data breaches was still incomplete.

On May 9, several politicians were spammed with mystery calls from overseas numbers.

Malay Mail reported this month that the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) had requested internet service providers block access to several websites providing “live” election results.

You May Also Like

Related Articles