KUALA LUMPUR, May 5 — Khairy Jamaluddin challenged today Dr Streram Sinnasamy’s account of events that led to his disqualification last week, saying the latter did not attempt to collect his candidate’s pass as previously alleged.
The Umno Youth chief said surveillance videos from the Rantau district office showed that the PKR candidate did not visit there on the eve of nomination day last week to obtain his Election Commission (EC) pass.
Khairy added that a Barisan Nasional candidate was recorded visiting the facility as late as 9.30pm to collect the same pass, which he said controverted Streram’s claim that the office was closed when he visited three hours earlier.
“The CCTV recordings showed that neither Dr Streram nor his proposer or seconder went to the district office as claimed,” he was quoted as saying by The Star Online news portal.
Last Saturday, Streram was unable to enter the nomination centre in Rembau to submit his papers as he was missing the EC pass needed, resulting in his disqualification for late submission.
His disqualification allowed caretaker Negri Sembilan Mentri Besar Datuk Seri Mohamad Hasan to retain the seat unopposed.