GEORGE TOWN, May 28 — The Penang state government said it will begin to impose a RM250 fine on any household whose occupants still fail to separate waste by June 1.
According to a Star Online report, Penang Island City Council (MBPP) Urban Services Department director Mubarak Junus said the same fine will also be levied on recycling agents who have yet to apply for the recyclable items collection licence.
“The council will conduct weekly spot checks, codenamed Ops Kawal Selia Pengasingan Sisa, in commercial and residential areas, where bins will be checked for discarded recyclable items.
“If they have not segregated their waste, a summons will be issued to the homeowner or joint management bodies (JMB) or management corporations (MC),” Mubarak was quoted saying during an operation at Paya Terubong.
He also said that fines will be imposed under regulations of the Local Government Act 1976 — Separation of Waste and Licensing of Recyclable Waste Collection Services (City Council of Penang Island) By-Laws 2016.
He said so far, only 12 of the 100 known agents in Penang have applied for the licence, adding that they can apply for one from the MBPP licensing department.
“It is a yearly licence costing RM100 for companies and statutory bodies, and RM70 for associations such as NGOs,” Star Online reported him saying.
MBPP mayor Datuk Patahiyah Ismail, who was also present during the operation, said persistent offenders will be taken to court and may receive a fine of up to RM2,000, a year’s jail or both.