KOTA KINABALU, Feb 15 — The government is considering the use of a collaborative method between contractors in Sabah and those outside the state, be they from Peninsular Malaysia or Sarawak, in awarding tenders for the implementation of the Pan Borneo Sabah Highway Project.
Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusof said this was because there was a shortage of Sabah Bumiputera Tier 1 contractors who had vast experience in handling highway contruction projects.
He said a total of 35 companies or contractors were needed to fill in all the 35 packages for the project as currently, there were only about 14 eligible companies in the state.
“Among the methods that have been identified and being evaluated is to allow collaboration with outside companies (be they from Peninsular Malaysia or Sarawak) to help the local contractors, thus ensuring that the project will run smoothly as planned,” he said.
Fadillah told this to reporters after officiating the briefing session on the job opportunity package and funding for the Pan Borneo Sabah Highway Project here today.
Also present was Deputy Works Minister Datuk Rosnah Abdul Rashid Shirlin.
Fadillah said most of the existing Sabah Bumiputera contractors did not meet the requirements since they had been evaluated in terms of the technical, experience, machinery resources and financial (minimum capital of RM100 million) aspects.
“Only 30 per cent of the outside companies are allowed to collaborate with the Sabah Bumiputera contractors. These local contractors will lead the project but they need share partners to implement (the project) as not many of them (Sabahan contractors) are eligible (for the tender),” he said.
Fadillah also said the government might trim down and combine the 35 packages so that the appointed Sabah Bumiputera contractors would have the ability to carry out the assigned packages.
So far, some of the 35 packages were being carried out such as the constructions of the Papar-Donggongon, Tawau-Semporna, Lahad Datu By-Pass routes, he added. — Bernama