MARANG, Aug 24 — A team from the Fire and Rescue Department Hazardous Materials Unit (Hazmat) was rushed to the Merchang Health Clinic here to clean up liquid mercury spilt in a treatment room at about 10.40am today.
Marang Fire and Rescue chief Abdullah Zawawi Mohamed said the incident was believed to have occurred when a thermometer (which contained mercury) used for taking patients’ temperatures fell onto the floor of the treatment room.
“A total of five Hazmat personnel from the Kerteh Fire and Rescue Department and a team from Marang were rushed to the scene to clean up the mercury.
“During the incident, a doctor and a patient were in the room, and we used sulphur and bleach to clean the substance,” he told reporters here today.
Abdullah Zawawi said the incident did not cause any untoward incident, and the situation was under control. — Bernama