KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 26 — Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said today that he welcomes Attorney-General Tan Sri Mohamed Apandi Ali’s decision on the SRC International and RM2.6 billion cases, and urged the public to put the matter to rest.
In a statement on his Facebook page, the prime minister also called the issue an “unnecessary distraction” for the country and said Apandi’s decision only confirmed his position all along that no crime had been committed.
“This issue has been an unnecessary distraction for the country. Now that the matter has been comprehensively put to rest, it is time for us to unite and move on.
“I will now redouble my focus on the key issues that matter to Malaysia, especially combating the threat of terrorism, and strengthening the economy in the face of global headwinds,” Najib said.
The prime minister also expressed his appreciation of concerns raised here over political funding and pointed out that it was because of this that he had in 2010 proposed reforms.
“Unfortunately, these were blocked by the opposition at the time. However, I have instructed for them to be put forward again for discussion,” he said.
At a press conference earlier today, Apandi announced that he has found no evidence of wrongdoing in the corruption probes on SRC International, a unit formerly owned by 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), and the transfer of a RM2.6 billion donation into Najib’s private accounts.
He added the he will return the investigation papers to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission and instruct them to close the cases.
“Based on the facts and evidence as a whole, I as the Public Prosecutor, am satisfied that no criminal offence has been committed by the Prime Minister in relation to the three investigation papers.
“I will return the relevant investigation papers to MACC today with the instruction to close the three investigation papers,” he told the news conference in his office.
In addressing questions surrounding the cash deposits into the PM’s private accounts, Apandi said a sum totalling US$681 million (RM2.08 billion) from the Saudi royal family was transferred in batches between March and April 2013.
He added that investigations showed a sum of US$620 million (RM2.03 billion) was returned by Najib in August that same year because “the sum was not utilised”.
Apandi also said that investigations showed no evidence the prime minister had used his position to approve a government guarantee of a RM4 billion loan from the Retirement Fund Incorporated (KWAP) into SRC International.
He added that there was no evidence showing Najib being solicited or promised any gratification from any party before, during or after the Cabinet decision was made, nor was there evidence on there being a conflict of interest.