KUALA LUMPUR, Dec 17 ― Electronical engineering graduate Mohd Najib Husen, suspected of making bombs for the Abu Sayyaf terror group, is believed to have died in the southern Philippines after clashing with the military Tuesday.
The 37-year-old Malaysian who also went by Abu Anas, was fighting alongside bandits when he was shot, The Star daily reported today, citing an unnamed intelligence source.
He died a few hours later after being shot, the report added, together with 13 other Abu Sayyaf militants.
Mohd Najib, a former Universiti Malaya stationary shop owner, is said to be the right-hand man of another Malaysian wanted by authorities here for terrorism activities, former Universiti Malaya lecturer Dr Mahmud Ahmad.
The Star reported that the authorities are in the midst of obtaining DNA from Mohd Najib's family for verification.
Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar was reported saying Bukit Aman has yet to receive confirmation from their counterparts in the Philippines.
According to the report, Mohd Najib had been working with Mahmud and another Malaysian terror suspect Muhammad Joraimee Awang Raimee, 39, for a while. Mahmud and Muhammad Joraimee were not involved in the skirmishes with the Philippine military two days ago.
“The three of them fled to southern Philippines on April 22, 2014. Evidence showed that Mohd Najib officially joined the Abu Sayyaf around the same time,” another unnamed source was quoted telling the newspaper.
The source was reported saying Mohd Najib graduated with a degree in Electrical Engineering, was married with five children and was responsible for several attacks on the Philippines security personnel.
He was also said to have arranged safe passages for four Malaysian militants to Syria to be members of global terror group, Islamic State.