KUALA LUMPUR, Nov 9 — The police today recorded the statement of The Star journalist Nicholas Cheng over a news report on the alleged transfer of a prosecutor with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
According to The Star Online, the police arrived at Menara Star at around 2pm today to take Cheng's statement.
The news portal also reported that a computer was confiscated by a team of officers from both the police and the Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission (MCMC).
The report said that The Star had carried a couple of stories on the alleged transfer of Deputy Public Prosecutor Ahmad Shazalee Abdul Khairi from the MACC's special operations division.
Last Friday, Malaysiakini's office was raided by the police and MCMC enforcement officers over the same matter.
Police later confirmed the raid and also added that another raid was conducted at The Star’s office.
In its report, Malaysiakini had written that a MACC prosecutor involved in the remand of several witnesses for the probe on SRC International Sdn Bhd, a former subsidiary of 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB), had been transferred.
Although not expressly stated, the article appeared to suggest that the alleged transfer could be for DPP Ahmad Shazalee, the same officer who was on August 1 picked up by the police for questioning.
The report also said that DPP Ahmad Shazalee’s secondment to the MACC was supposed to run until 2017, but that the Attorney-General’s Chambers sent him a letter on October 14, asking him to report to it the following day.
On Twitter later, the AGC said Ahmad Shazalee had not been transferred out of the MACC.
Last Wednesday, de facto law minister Nancy Shukri was quoted by Malaysiakini as telling Parliament that Ahmad Shazalee was only transferred internally and not out of the MACC.