Penang lifts stop-work order for construction of flyover only for weekends

Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng speaks at a news conference in Penang, on May 15, 2015. — Picture by K.E. Ooi
Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng speaks at a news conference in Penang, on May 15, 2015. — Picture by K.E. Ooi

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.


GEORGE TOWN, Sept 3 — The DAP-led Penang government has lifted the stop-work order for the construction of a flyover for the Bayan Lepas Expressway (BLE) but said it can resume building only on weekends.

This is based on recommendations by an independent panel of engineering consultants, state Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng said today.

“The panel will monitor the construction site throughout the whole construction period to ensure that its recommendations pertaining to safety are adhered to,” he said in a press conference at his office.

UEM Builder Berhad was issued the stop-work order last month after they closed a stretch of road for the project that caused a massive three-hour jam in Bayan Lepas area.

The Public Works Department (PWD) and UEM were also ordered to submit a safety audit plan for the construction and the stretch of road was reopened to traffic.

UEM had submitted the safety audit plan and traffic diversion proposals for the panel’s consideration.

The independent panel had proposed that the road be closed only from Friday 11pm to 5.30am on Monday to allow for concreting works for the 390m special span.

“This is so that the project can continue without further delays but we will not allow partial closure for concreting works unless they can promise zero incidents if this is allowed,” Lim said.

The BLE project, from Batu Maung to Sungai Nibong, is a RM337 million project that started in April last year and is expected to complete by March next year.

You May Also Like

Related Articles