KOTA KINABALU, July 8 — One week shy of his death’s sixth anniversary, the family of former DAP aide Teoh Beng Hock made fresh calls to bring to justice those responsible for his 2009 death while in custody of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC).
Younger sister, Teoh Lee Lan said that in the 10 months since the Court of Appeal made a judgement that “a person or persons were responsible for his death”, there has no news of further developments on the case.
“What are we to do? We want to see someone brought to justice,” she said at a forum here tonight.
“The family still cannot accept that not even one person has been named responsible for his death,” she said, adding that they will continue to fight for justice till it was served.
In conjunction with his death anniversary that falls on July 16, his family launched a new campaign asking the Home Minister to speed up investigations into the case and bring those responsible for his death to face the court of law.
As part of the campaign, the family launched a set of postcards, pre-printed with a message calling for the people behind Teoh’s death to be charged and punished, and which are addressed to current Home Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi.
Earlier this evening, Lee Lan, together with Sabah DAP members and Kulai MP Teo Nie Ching held a demonstration outside the state MACC office calling for the resignation of the current Sabah MACC director, Hishamuddin Hashim, who had last interrogated Beng Hock.
The demonstrators left 15 minutes later, after failing to get a response from the state MACC chief’s office.
Hishamuddin, who was promoted sometime last year, was implicated in the RCI into Teoh’s death as one of three MACC officers who used excessive violence on the DAP aide.
The Court of Appeal ruled last September that Teoh, a political aide did not commit suicide and directed the Attorney-General’s Chamber to reopen investigations into his death while in MACC custody back in 2009.
In response, the AGC said then it would prosecute those responsible for the 30-year-old’s death, but noted that the “thorough” police investigation into the demise of Teoh after the Royal Commission of Inquiry had pinpointed MACC’s “oppressive, prolonged and aggressive” interrogation.
Putrajaya and MACC had in May this year agreed to pay the family of Teoh Beng Hock RM600,000 in damages and RM60,000 in cost, admitting to negligence on their part resulting in Teoh’s death.