‘Betrayal,’ PM says of toll hike proposal leak

A proposal to increase toll rates was discussed by the Cabinet but no decision had been taken, the prime minister confirmed. — File pic
A proposal to increase toll rates was discussed by the Cabinet but no decision had been taken, the prime minister confirmed. — File pic

KUALA LUMPUR, June 13 — Leaked news that the Cabinet would discuss a proposal to increase toll rates at 16 highways was a “betrayal of trust” by members of the administration, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

While he confirmed that the matter was brought before the Cabinet during its meeting yesterday, Najib said no decision has been made over the proposal.

“We have discussed toll but the decision and the implementation will be decided in the coming weeks, so whatever leak that are out of Cabinet is actually not final yet,” he told reporters after chairing a Barisan Nasional (BN) supreme council meeting.

“Unfortunately there’s been a leak that came out in social media and they have hyped it out and it’s very unfortunate that there are some people who are not ethical and they have betrayed the trust by being members of the government,” he added.

He did not identify those who allegedly leaked the information.

Earlier last night, Works Minister Datuk Seri Fadillah Yusuf also confirmed that the Cabinet had discussed the proposal to raise toll rates at 16 highways, but said he will consider feedback he gained from the ministers before deciding.

He added that he will meet with the toll concessionaires to discuss the matter, and urged the media not to speculate further on the proposal.

Malay language daily Berita Harian reported yesterday that the Works Ministry would present a proposal to raise toll rates for 16 highways this August during the Cabinet meeting.

The Malay language daily said the increase will be between 20 sen and RM1, but did not name the source of the information.

Last November, the government decided to postpone raising the toll rates for 20 highways across the country that were supposed to increase this year.

Following that, the concession companies were compensated RM558.69 million.

Related Articles