KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 28 — Police will soon take the statements of protesters who trespassed on the construction site of the Datum Jelatek luxury condominium in Taman Keramat last weekend.

The Star quoted Selangor police chief Datuk Abdul Samah Mat as saying today the police are investigating the case under Section 427 of Penal Code for mischief and property damage.

“We will call up the organisers and protesters to have their statements taken,” he said. “No arrest has been made yet.”

Meanwhile, Malay daily Berita Harian reported today that the Selangor transparency committee will not hold a public hearing on the issue.

The newspaper quoted Select Committee on Competency, Accountability and Transparency (Selcat) chair Hannah Yeoh as saying that there was no need to hold a hearing as the issue is not a state matter.

Fearing their Malay-majority city neighbourhood may soon be overrun by Chinese, a group of residents in Taman Keramat marched to the construction site of upscale condominium project Datum Jelatek here and violently tore down its cladding last Sunday.

The Datum Jelatek Project that will be built on a 5.5-acre (2.2 hectares) piece of land had previously been said to be a redevelopment project of the low-cost housing area in Jalan Jelatek after all the residents, who were mostly Malays, had been moved out and given a small compensation.

However, the project was said to have “changed” into a proposal to develop four exclusive buildings comprising offices, a hotel and a shopping centre targeted at the high-income group and corporate sector.