Showbiz man dies after parking space row

Joseph was hit on his face, chest and stomach.
Joseph was hit on his face, chest and stomach.

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates.

PETALING JAYA, Jan 6 — Fundraiser extraordinaire, showbiz promoter and musician Stephen Joseph was killed in a moment of madness in a row over parking space on Sunday.

Joseph, 54, former Alleycats agent, was punched three times in an argument at a carpark lot in front of Medan Selera Malam in SS2/63 here at 7.30pm.

He suffered blows to his chest and injuries to his upper body and died eight hours later. 

The entertainment fraternity reacted with horror over the moment of lunacy that could change the lives of Joseph’s wife Mary Ooi, 53, daughter Joanne, 14, and stepsons Ivan D’cruz, 31, and Brandon, 28. 

Petaling Jaya police chief ACP Azmi Abu Kassim said police were trying to establish the identity of the assailant who sped off in a Proton Saga. 

He said the case has been classified as culpable homicide not amounting to murder and video surveillance cameras in the area were being examined. 

Before the incident, Stephen, Mary and Joanne went to Medan Selera Malam in SS2/63 here for dinner around 7pm.  

According to Joanne, they identified a parking lot 50m from Medan Selera Malam, so Mary got out of the car and stood at the parking space waiting for Stephen to make a turn and park. 

As she waited, a man in a Proton Saga started shouting at her for “reserving” the parking lot. 

“I tried explaining to him that my husband was merely making a short turn-back to park the car properly.

“I even told him that my husband limped.” 

Mary, who worked for Malay Mail in 2009, said she was shocked when the man started shouting at her and behaving rudely. 

Joanne, when met at their home in Section 19, said when her father returned to the car park he saw the man shouting at Mary. 

“My dad got out of the car to see what was going on and this is when the man started attacking him.” 

Joanne said her mother attempted to stop the suspect from hitting Stephen.

However, he only stopped when a woman came and pulled him away.

Mary then assisted Stephen back to the car. 

“At first my dad said he was alright and he was driving us back.

“However, minutes later, he complained of chest pains and told my mother to take over the wheel and we rushed him to hospital.” 

As Mary rushed her husband to Universiti Malaya Medical Centre, Stephen lost consciousness. 

Doctors in the accident and emergency unit resuscitated him before moving him for intensive care.

Initial forensic investigation suggested Stephen died from blows to his chest.

His lungs bled and there were no signs of a heart attack. 

Police investigations found the suspect had punched and hit Stephen on his face, chest and stomach. 

A manhunt for the suspect is ongoing.

Stephen’s funeral service will be held tomorrow at the Assumption Church in Jalan Templer at 2pm followed by his cremation at Jalan 229, Kampung Tunku, Petaling Jaya.

You May Also Like

Related Articles