MALACCA, April 28 — The existence of treasure left behind by the Malacca Malay Sultanate estimated to be worth billions of ringgit on Nangka Island will be known in two days.
Melaka Works, Public Utilities, Transport and Project Rehabilitation Committee Chairman Datuk Abdul Ghafaar Atan said work to excavate the walls in the area believed to be the main entry to the treasure was 90 per cent completed and expected to be finished by Wednesday.
“We believe the door can be opened in two days’ time, thus providing the answer on whether the treasure truly exists or not,” he told reporters after visiting the site on Nangka Island here today.
He said the search for the treasure was conducted by Smart Partnership International (M) Sdn Bhd through a four-month contract beginning last January till this April 30.
He said if the company failed to complete excavation works during the term of the contract, the state government would hand it over to another company.
“If Smart Partnership International succeeds in opening the door and does not find any artifacts, we will give them an extension to look for the treasure,” he said.
Meanwhile the company’s managing director, Mohammad Foad Khushairy Mohd Said said the work to break down the wall was being done intensively by 36 workers round-the-clock.
“So far, we have not yet seen any indications and if we find any artifact or treasure, we will immediately inform it in a special press conference,” he said.
Meantime Melaka Deputy Police Chief Datuk Shah Gzali Khan Shahadat said the Marine Operations Force and the General Operations Force will be stationed to guard the place if any artifact or treasure was found.
Nangka Island is an uninhabited island of about 20 hectares in size and located four kilometres from Pulau Besar, Jasin. — Bernama